Inspiration

Rev 22:1 And he showed me a river of water of life, bright as crystal, proceeding out of the 5throne of God and of the Lamb in the middle of its street. ~~~ Live in the USA? Get a free Bible and free Christian books

Friday, October 22, 2010

Oak Apples

I noticed some strange growths on a young oak tree on my walk today.  I've never seen anything like it so I took some shots.


These nut-like growths covered a number of branches.  It took me a little while to find them on the internet but I did.  These are Oak Apples or Oak Apple Gall.   There used to be an old English holiday "Oak Apple Day" or "Royal Oak Day", to commemorate the restoration of Charles II in 1660.  I never knew that.


Galls are abnormal, vegetative growths that are usually formed as a response by plants to the action of fungus, mites, or insects such as wasps, aphids, and true bugs.  Oak Apple Galls are usually the result of the work of one of several species of gall wasps.

Hope you enjoyed!

~ Robin   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for commenting!